Thursday 25 February 2021

The Delhi Diary - Part I

Contents:

Part I -

1.  Dream to visit
2.  Let's give it a try
3.  Yes! I got a call letter
4.  Pre-departure Drama
      4.1. The domestic tussle
      4.2. The collegiate contention


Part II -

5.  The Travel Tale
6.  Hustle for address
7.  At the MP's residence house
8.  Search for shelter
9.  The Fighting Father
10. Inside NITI
     10.1. Work
     10.2. Life with colleagues

Part III-

11. Bruhan Maharashtra Bhawan
      11.1. Life at BMB
      11.2. New Friends
12. Exploring Delhi
      12.1. "New" Delhi
      12.2. The other side of Delhi
13. Time to Leave
14. Life after Internship



PART I


Dil walo ka sheher, as we call it.
Yes, the capital city of India - Dilli (New Delhi)
No matter wherever you travel, if you haven't been to Delhi, then you are yet to explore the Heart of India. You know nothing about a person if you didn't touch his/her soul, the heart, the true person. 
Same is valid here in this case.

The vibe, the essence, the feeling you get in Delhi is nowhere comparable with the other cities in India. The air of the city definitely has something mixed in it, other than the pollution ofcourse. 

The city is like- The more you get to know about it, the more you want to know about it.


1. Dream to visit:


Being a small-town boy, who won't like to see the big city? and what could even be better than the capital city of India?
As a child, we observe things with minute details, or we can say, we observe things with a wholly different perspective. 

Even small things attracted the sight of my wobbly mind, like I used to see the 26th of January parade being eager and ever desirous, like how I observe Namaz of Jama Masjid (one of the Biggest Mosque in India), and many more like this. The movies, news and articles about it acted as a pure catalyst to make the bond between us even stronger in no time. 

Though Delhi was not as cosmopolitan as our Mumbai (Aamchi Mumbai), I was well prepared to indulge myself in the solitary culture of this dynamic city.

I desperately wanted to see this city, whatsoever, and when this Delhiite superstar Shah Rukh Khan said in Om Shanti Om movie - "कहते है की अगर किसी चीज़ को दिल से चाहो तो पूरी कायनात उसे तुमसे मिलाने की कोशिश में लग जाती है" (When you wish for something from the bottom of your heart, the whole world unites to fulfil your wish), I FELT IT.



2.  Let's give it a try:


Back in 2017, it was early May. People call it the period of vacations, but we the university students call it as an Exam Season. 
The region of Vidarbha(in Maharashtra, India) has a very dear relation with the Sun. It seems like the sun stays over Vidarbha & not around the globe as a whole.

Those days, parents being out of town and air cooler doing the rest of needful for me to keep my books aside and laze around, I did so. 
Also, some days were still spare for the preparation, so I went a step further, I opted for a nap. 
Procrastination at its best, that time. (or even now, maybe!)

Like every child, I was checking my mobile before I doze off. I saw a few text notifications, a couple of News bars and a Low Battery Warning.

I took a sneak peek at the news which was having "Ministry of Home Affairs decided to..." kind of something in its headline. Whatever it was, I went through it and there was a link below, which pointed me to NITI Aayog website

NITI Aayog, New Delhi

Back then I was not known about it, but then I searched and did whole research, thus got to know that it was a Government body working under the Ministry of Home Affairs of Government of India. It is called as the "Think-Tank of India", as it structures policies and provides technical support and advice to centre and state governments. 
It was also called the Planning Commission of India, for that sake.

Going back, I saw an option on that website citing "Apply for Internship".  Without even thinking twice I clicked on it & filled a lengthy application form asking for academic background, personal background and an unusual question asking, "What are your reforming ideas for new and Transforming India?" I fill in with whatever little I could think of and submitted it in a go.

Now that I've to wait for a few days for the reply mail, I kept the mobile and sacked off with dreams of Delhi.



3.  Yes! I got a call letter:


About a fortnight later, when I was out of the examination hall in college, I got a mail from Deputy-Adviser of Science and Technology (S&T) Department of NITI Aayog saying, "Congratulation! You are selected for the Internship Programme".

There were 2 theory and 3 practical exams remaining and they called me in 10 days.
I was on cloud nine or even higher, after reading the mail.
My friends and I used to gather after the exam, at the cafeteria to discuss about the paper, but that day, I was like, "Not today man!"

I make a hasty run towards home to inform my parents about the same, as they were not even known about my application. They got to know that I have to go to New Delhi for one month, I explained to them what all it is, and also that Shri Narendra Modi is the Chairman of NITI Aayog and everything else that was needed to be told.

I saw a proud expression on their faces, which I didn't get to see often.
Nevertheless, Dad was a bit bewildered.


4. Pre-departure Drama:


    4.1. The domestic tussle:


So, what was the issue?
As I mentioned earlier that I'm a small-town boy, belonging to a lower-middle-class family. The sudden demand for money, like this, is not less than an avalanche for us. 

Yes, my father was definitely happy for me, infact more than me, just like my mother and sisters. They were more pleased to know that I was among the only 3 students, who were selected from all over India for this once in a lifetime opportunity. 
They didn't have enough money at that time, to bear my expenses. 

I was told by the NITI officials that I have to have my personal laptop with me, which I wasn't having at that time. Though my sister was having one, that too was on a ventilator, which needed a lot of service from the service centre. 
It would probably take a week-long time and I was not supposed to risk this much time. 

My college friends tried their best to provide me with whatever help they could. One of them even asked her father to give his office laptop for a month, and the other tried to seek help from a faculty member in college, but it gets us landed nowhere.

So, with no option left, my sister got it fixed in a local store at Pune and also sent a travelling bag with it, again for the fact that we didn't even have had a travelling bag at home(funny but true). 

The time was not appropriate neither the situation was in my hand. 
At times I was so depressed and worried about the financial situation, that I thought to drop a reply mail saying, 'I won't be able to join', but then my sister and father were there by my side, saying, "We are here for you, but you just make the best out of it!" 




    4.2. The collegiate contention:


Reporting date was on the 1st of June but I was having my practical exam till June 2nd. The first year HOD Sir was persuaded off eventually after a lot of efforts. He then permitted me to give 2 practical exams in one day. 
I managed it and get it done from my side.

My region was not that developed. 
My college didn't witness a single case prior to mine, that a first-year student was opting for an internship. They were not easily convinced to consider my leave. 

One fine day, I visited my 'going to be' 2nd year Head of Department and told him the scenario and then he permitted me for the same. This was all just to get the No Objection Certificate which was needed in NITI from college officials.

Even Principal Sir questioned my application at that time, saying "Kya karne wale ho waha jaakar?" (What are you going to do there?) & trust me, with that tone of sir, it doesn't seem like a concerned question.

Okay so, now it's time for pocket-friendly shopping. 
Wohoo! Dad got me 2 shirts and a trouser.

He was moreover worried about my residence though, as we were not supposed to get residence from their side. He visited the home of a local politician who knew the then Member of Parliament from our region. 

MP's residence (our home at Delhi for 5 days)

After several hits, he managed to get me a letter allowing a week-long residence at MP's place. But still, my dad accompanied me, as I was the small kid who could find it difficult to settle himself in that big city.
Thus, he managed the train tickets and we were ready to depart with a lot tensed mind & bubbly heart.

.
.
.

What happened next?
The Delhi Diary - Part III


Hey there, thanks for following my blog all up to here at the end.

I hope y'all like it.

Please hit the FOLLOW button on the upper left corner to get in touch with the latest blogs and writings OR follow the page on Facebook - The DrunkKalam 😍


Craving for your love...

ABOUT ME  |  CONTACT ME

Happy Reading!

11 comments:

  1. Your experiences are always awesome. ��
    You should write more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really feels good to read your experiences Pratik. You are like an inspiration buddy. Keep growing and keep writing as well ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ya, Thanks a ton Garima! 😃
      I'm glad you loved it 🥰

      #HappyReading ✨

      Delete
  3. AWESOME👏👏

    Too Much Good!:)💛💛

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sachin Virokar18 July 2021 at 20:24

    Nice writing and u cannot believe that while I'm reading ur whole journey and experience in new delhi for a moment I was thinking I also with u and enjoyed the same��...I enjoyed it and loved it bro... keep writing..������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a big compliment for me brother 🤗💕
      Comments like these motivate me to deliver more to you guys.

      Thanks for reading!
      Do visit again for more such blogs 😃
      #HappyReading 😉

      Delete
  5. It always amazing to read whatever u write u are just toooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Dear Unknown 🥰😃

      #HappyReading ✨

      Delete

Leave us your reviews

You might also like to read this -